
I worked a year and a half doing not only my job, but my bosses job in large part while working hard to finish my degree. In the fall of '09 I had to drop a class because work was requiring me to do even more. Now I can't return to school until after I pay the school back for that course.
My boss walks in after her weekly administration meeting with an unusual glow on her face and explained that she had just been given not only her bonus, but an additional amount that she wasn't expecting.
Since I've known her she's left work at 2:30 in the afternoon, if not earlier. She spends her time shopping the web, procrastinating, making excuses rather than doing. My coworker and I have worked 10 to 12 hour days consistently at great sacrifice to our personal endeavors and family.
This experience has taught me so much, especially the kind of boss I will be if I am ever asked to lead again.
I know, now, that I will likely never complete my education and most likely will never reach my goal of management. I never reached for management just so I could be a boss, but more because I want to affect change.
It's tough accepting the fact that I will be a follower for the rest of my days on this journey.
My boss walks in after her weekly administration meeting with an unusual glow on her face and explained that she had just been given not only her bonus, but an additional amount that she wasn't expecting.
Since I've known her she's left work at 2:30 in the afternoon, if not earlier. She spends her time shopping the web, procrastinating, making excuses rather than doing. My coworker and I have worked 10 to 12 hour days consistently at great sacrifice to our personal endeavors and family.
This experience has taught me so much, especially the kind of boss I will be if I am ever asked to lead again.
I know, now, that I will likely never complete my education and most likely will never reach my goal of management. I never reached for management just so I could be a boss, but more because I want to affect change.
It's tough accepting the fact that I will be a follower for the rest of my days on this journey.

0 comments:
Post a Comment